Как друг убил друга

Beautiful and sad story. Ревела как сучка под конец, но мне много и не надо.)
История красивая, если находишь красоту в серости, унынии и беспросветной человеческой глупости.
Классика нуара: серый и унылый, полуразрушенный войной город; бухло; вспыльчивый мрачный мужик ГГ, любящий под бухлом ходить по бабам; унылая безвольная красотка в беде, навсегда безответно влюблённая в конченного мудака и преступника; ну и конечно же менты, много ментов..)
Graham Greene - The third man.

Как друг убил друга Novel, Роман, Мат, Длиннопост
Как друг убил друга Novel, Роман, Мат, Длиннопост

He always tried to dismiss women as "incidents", things that simply happened to him without any will of his own, acts of God in the eyes of insurance agents.

It's nearly always the fake mourners and the fake lovers who take that last look, who wait waving on platforms, instead of clearing quickly out, not looking back. Is it perhaps that they love themselves so much and want to keep themselves in the sight of others, even of the dead?

It's funny. I can't remember meeting any woman quite as well.

He was clever..but not the way they wanted him to be.
The child is father to the man..

Why don't you policemen catch a few murderers for a chance?

What's the good of talking?

What's the use of wondering?

It was a face to live with, day in, day out.

He's dead. You can't go on remembering him for ever.

It's as far back as we have got so far.

There are always so many things one doesn't know about a person, even a person one loves, good things, bad things. We have to leave plenty of room for them.

For God's sake stop making people in your image.

I'd make comic faces all day long. I'd stand on my head and grin at you between my legs.

The trouble about you British is you never know when to make a stand.

I want to clear the whole damned thing up.

Do ghosts only rise by night?

Evil was like Peter Pan - it carried with it the horrifying and horrible gift of eternal youth.

- She's a good little thing.
- She loves you.
- Well, I gave her a good time while it lasted.
- And I love her.
- That's fine, old man. Be kind of her. She's worth it. I'm glad.

They have their 5 year plans and so have I.

The dead are happier dead.

Don't trust me, Harry.

I don't want to see him again, i don't want to hear him. I don't want to be touched by him, but I won't do a thing to harm him.

I don't want him, but he's in me. That's a fact - not like friendship. Why, when I have a love dream, he's always the man.

It's worth trying.

What makes a man, without hope, cling to a few more minutes of existence?

And just as an animal creeps into the dark to die, so I suppose a man makes for the light. He wants to die at home, and the darkness is never home to us.

- Well forget that bit.
- I never shall.

He caught her up and they walked side by side. I don't think he said a word to her: it was like the end of a story.